OFFICIAL RULES FOR AAAS OPT-IN AND WIN SWEEPSTAKES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING
1. Promotion Description: The AAAS Opt-IN and Win Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") begins on 28, at 12:01:00 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") and ends on 28, at 11:59 p.m. ET (the "Promotion Period"). At the end of the Promotion Period, a random drawing will be held to select one (1) winner from all eligible entries made during the Promotion Period. The winner will receive a iPad for $499.00 as described more fully below. By participating in the Sweepstakes, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (the "Sponsor") which shall be final and binding in all respects.
2. Eligibility: Only persons over the age of eighteen (18) years as of their date of entry who are located in and legal residents of one of the 50 states of the United States or the District of Columbia at the time of entry are eligible to enter. Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies, and their immediate family members or persons living in the same household are not eligible. The Sweepstakes is void where prohibited.
3. How to Enter: There are two methods by which to enter: Online or automatically when opting in to receive emails from marketing and promotional partners of Sponsor.
Alternate Entry: Participants who wish to use an alternate method of entry for the sweepstakes during the Promotion Period may enter via regular mail. Alternate entries must consist of the participants name, address and phone number and should be mailed to: Opt In and Win Sweepstakes, c/o AAAS, 1200 New York Avenue NW, 3rd Floor, Washington D.C. 20005.
Opting In: Participants who will be invited via email and online advertising must go to: http://www.sciencemag.org/subscriptions/indiv_register.dtl (the "Opt-In Site") during the Promotion Period and follow the onscreen instructions to open a free Science online account and opt in to receive email from third party marketing partners of Sponsor and its publications, including the journal Science. New registrants must fill out all required fields including name, email address, country, city and then opt-in to receive 3rd Party emails from Sponsor's carefully screened marketing partners. Current users must log into their current account and opt-in to receive third party emails. Upon completing the requested information, and clicking the "submit" button, participants automatically will be entered into the Sweepstakes.
All entries must be received during the Promotion Period to be eligible for the drawing. Limit one entry per person or email address per Promotion Period. If multiple entries are received from the same person or email address within the Promotion Period, only the first entry will be considered and all subsequent entries will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the holder of the email account provided in the entry, and proof of being the authorized account holder may be required and the decision of the Sponsor will be final. All requested information on the entry form at the Website or Survey Site must be completed to enter and to be eligible to win, and entries not containing a valid email address and telephone number will be disqualified. Proof of entering information at the Website or Survey Site is not considered proof of delivery to or receipt by the Sponsor of such entry. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, or misdirected entries that are not received in a timely manner, or are lost due to computer or electronic malfunction or other error, or due to inaccessibility of the Internet or portions thereof or any failure of the text messaging system. All entries become property of Sponsor.
4. Privacy: The information collected may be used by AAAS for the purpose of operating and improving Science Online, fostering a positive user experience, and delivering the products and services that we offer. We may also use the information we gather to inform you of other products or services available from Science Online or to contact you about your opinion of current products and services or potential new products and services that may be offered. We may use your contact information in order to send you e-mail, postal mail or other communications regarding updates at Science Online, such as Job Alerts, newsletters, new opportunities, and additional listings which may be of interest to you. We may also use it to send you information about third party products and services that match your interests and preferences, if you opt in for this communication. (We do not release any of your contact information to third parties in such instances). The nature and frequency of these messages will vary depending upon the information we have about you. In addition, at the time of registration for certain Science Online services, such as ScienceCareers.org Job Alerts, free partial access to Science Online you have the option to elect to receive additional communications, information, newsletters, and promotions relating to topics that may be of special interest to you.
5. Automated Entries Prohibited: No mechanically reproduced, incomplete, forged, software generated or automated multiple entries will be accepted.
6. Winner Selection: Two (2) winners will be selected by random drawing to be held at the Sponsor's offices on or about 29, 2010. All decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding. Odds of winning are dependant on the number of eligible entries received during the Promotion Period. The winners will be notified by email within five days of the drawing. Each winner will have five days from the time notification was sent to them to accept the prize, which acceptance shall be given by email to "firstname.lastname@example.org". Sponsor shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received or read by a potential winner for any reason. The Sponsor is not responsible and shall not be liable for any late, lost or misdirected notification, or for a winner's efforts to claim a prize. If for any reason a potential winner cannot be reached despite reasonable efforts by Sponsor, or a prize is not accepted within five days of the first notification attempt made by Sponsor, or the potential winner is found to be ineligible or not to have complied with these Official Rules, that potential winner will forfeit his or her prize and an alternate winner will be randomly selected from among the remaining eligible entries.
7. Prize Details: Two (2) winners each will receive a Prize consisting of a 16 GB iPad with Wi-Fi. The approximate retail value of each 16 GB iPad with Wi-Fi prize is $499.00.
8. General Prize Conditions: The potential winners will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability and Prize Acceptance Form (collectively, the "Prize Claim Documents"). If a winner fails or refuses to sign and return the Prize Claim Documents within 60 days of prize notification, the winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner will be randomly selected from among the remaining eligible entries. Prizes are not transferable and not assignable. No substitutions of prizes will be allowed, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize(s) of comparable or greater value in the event a prize or any portion thereof becomes unavailable for any reason. The winner shall be solely responsible for all taxes and fees or costs associated with the prize, including but not limited to any federal or state or other income tax.
9. Release: Acceptance of a prize constitutes the prize winner's permission for Sponsor to use prize winner's name for advertising and/or promotional purposes worldwide and in all forms of media in perpetuity without further compensation or authorization. Entrants agree that Sponsor and its affiliates, and their officers, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the "Sponsoring Entities"), shall not be responsible for any losses, damages or injuries of any kind resulting from participation in the Sweepstakes or from entrants' acceptance, receipt, possession and/or use or misuse of any prize. Entrants also agree that the Sponsoring entities have not made and shall not in any manner be liable for any warranty, guarantee, or representation, whether express or implied, with respect to any prize, including without limitation, the prize's quality or fitness for a particular purpose. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, or who otherwise takes actions that do or are intended to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes.
10. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of New York without regard to the choice of law provisions thereof.
11. Name of Winner: For the name of winner, send a self addressed, stamped envelope to: AAAS Opt-In and Win Sweepstakes, 1200 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20005. Vermont and Washington State residents may omit return postage.